Congratulations on becoming a member of one of California’s community college governing boards! You will find many rewards and challenges in carrying out your responsibilities, and the League is committed to supporting trustee education for excellence in leadership and governance.
The most important League event for new trustees is the Effective Trusteeship Workshop (ETW) in January. It is the single best overview of responsibilities required for board members of California community colleges. State leaders on accreditation and governance and experienced trustees provide comprehensive information concerning the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective trustee.
The Annual Legislative Conference is part of the ETW weekend and offers a unique opportunity to connect with other advocates and learn the latest news on the state budget and economic outlook for California. Attendees will also learn about new members of legislative committees, legislative proposals affecting colleges and student learning, and advocacy strategies for the current legislative year. You will also have the opportunity to meet personally with members of the Assembly and Senate.
- Attend the Effective Trusteeship Workshop, held annually in January, Sheraton Grand Sacramento
- Attend the Annual Legislative Conference, held annually in January, Sheraton Grand Sacramento
The League proudly offers the only certificate program in community college trusteeship in the state. The Excellence in Trusteeship Program is designed to facilitate the ongoing education of all trustees in California community colleges by providing a solid foundation for effective board governance. There are multiple pathways to complete the 8-competency, 27-unit program, that can be completed in one year that supports the accreditation requirement for continuing board development. The program has been vetted by the national Association of Community College Trustees (ACCT) and the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC).
NEXT STEPS: Enroll in the Excellence in Trusteeship Program
For more information on trustee development, please contact Carmen Sandoval, Director of Education Services and Leadership Development, at email@example.com or (916) 444-8641.
Open Meeting Law (Brown Act) Resources
- OPEN & PUBLIC V: A Guide to the Ralph M. Brown Act (Revised April 2016)
- The Brown Act and the Perils of Electronic Communication, Western City magazine, June 2011
- The Ralph M. Brown Act Firsthand, Western City magazine, February 1999
- Local Agency Electronic Media Use and California Public Records Law
- Rosenberg's Rules of Order: Simple Rules of Parliamentary Procedure for the 21st Century, Revised 2011
- Commonly Used Terms in California Community College Administration
- The Curriculum Approval Process: A Resource Guide For Trustees and Administrators
- Introduction to Ethics
- Trusteeship – Tasks, Knowledge and Skills
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Guide to Accreditation Standards for Governing Boards
- Vision for Success
Videos and Online Training
Before attending the workshop and conference it will be most beneficial if you are able to read and review as much of the following as possible:
- Introduction to Brown Act >> Segment 1 | Segment 2 | Segment 3 | Segment 4 | Segment 5 | Segment 6 | Segment 7
- AB 1234 Local Ethics Training
- Accreditation Basics Online Course
In addition to the above videos, the League has prepared a series of strong workforce videos to assist you in learning more about career technical education.
- Video 1: Introduction to the Strong Workforce Program for Trustees
- Video 2: Understanding My District’s CTE Program
- Video 3: Indicators of a High Quality CTE Program
- Video 4: The Trustee Role in Building High Quality CTE Programs
- Video 5: Policy and Fiscal Concerns in Career Technical Education
For segmented clips of the above videos, please click here.