Leadership in California Community Colleges is inevitably dynamic, challenging, complex, and potentially highly rewarding. Effective leadership necessitates adaptability, a strong sense of self and one's values, and a wide variety of skills and abilities. And sustainable leadership benefits from assessment, reflection, and engagement with peers and ideas germane to the community college mission.
The CEO Strategic Leadership Program (CSLP) is grounded in the belief that ongoing CEO leadership development must be data-informed, relevant, pragmatic, and led and informed by experienced and successful California Community College leaders. The League's CEO Strategic Leadership Program offers support to CEOs throughout their career. The Program consists of:
- CEO Workshop: specifically designed to onboard new CEOs for a six-month period beginning in November through June concluding at the CEO Leadership Academy.
- Peer-to-Peer Support: offered as part of the CEO Workshop, a six month period of one-on-one support from a seasoned California CEO.
- CEO Leadership Academy: for CEOs in their first chancellorship or presidency reviewing operations, statewide initiatives, and significant issues confronting today's district and campus leaders.
- Dr. Chris McCarthy Vineyard Leadership Symposium: a seminar and retreat for CEOs to explore leadership dynamics and issues.
For more information about CEO Strategic Leadership Program, please contact Carmen Sandoval, Director of Education Services and Leadership Development, at email@example.com or for more information about the CEO Symposium or Statewide CEO meeting, please contact Lizette Navarette, Vice President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The League’s Northern and Southern CEO Conferences have combined into one statewide symposium. The CEO Symposium presents an ideal opportunity for CEOs to meet and discuss the critical issues that face California community colleges and to learn from each other. This CEO-only event provides an opportunity to discuss the most pressing policy issues our colleges face.
The CEO Symposium is an annual CEO-only gathering for leaders statewide to convene panel discussions, share information and promising practices, and to network with colleagues in an informal environment. Research demonstrates that districts and colleges led by CEOs with tenures closer to 10-years rather than the mean 7.1 years stated in the League’s 2018 CEO Tenure and Retention Study, tend to have better student outcomes and enhanced institutional stability. Professional development and support for California’s campus leaders is a critical investment in the future of our institutions.
- Save the Date for the 2020 CEO Symposium held February 27-29, 2020 in Sonoma, CA.
- Save the Date for the 2020 CEO Leadership Academy held June 26-28, 2020 in San Diego, CA.
In addition to these conferences, a Statewide CEO Meeting is held at the League's Annual Convention. This annual meeting brings together community college CEOs from across California to discuss the most pressing issues and opportunities in our system.
Below you will find links to publications of interest and professional development opportunities for CEOs. Listed in alphabetical order
- Advice for the New CEO
- Appointing a New Trustee to the Board
- Assessing the Performance of the CEO
- CEO Tenure and Retention Study
7th Update | 6th Update | 5th Update | 4th Update | 3rd Update | 2nd Update | 1st Update
- Board Focus
- Commonly Used Terms in California Community College Administration
- The Curriculum Approval Process: A Resource Guide For Trustees and Administrators
- Different Jobs, Different Tasks: Board and CEO Roles and Responsibilities
- Faculty Role in Decision Making: Participating Effectively in District and College Governance,
Community College League and Academic Senate
- Open and Public IV, League of California Cities
- Q and A for New CEOs
- Scenarios to Illustrate Effective Participation in District and College Governance, Community College League and Academic Senate
Videos and Online Training
The League has prepared a series of strong workforce videos to assist you in learning more about career technical education.
- Video 1: Introduction to the Strong Workforce Program for CEOs
- Video 2: More and Better CTE: Leadership Stepping Up to the Challenge
- Video 3: Creating the Future of CTE
- Video 4: Implementing a Regional Approach for CTE
- Video 5: The Role of Data and Accountability in Career Education
For segmented clips of the above videos, please click here.